
Dance the night away….these words do not have any particular significance in my daily life. I am not in a position (geographically/personally) to frequent discos or have a girls night out. But now and then I get this golden chance, sometimes unexpected. Not that I am a great dancer, but I do like to jump around, quite literally. There is something about swinging to music that is quite liberating and helps you shed inhibitions. Dancing alone at home, behind closed doors is a secret pleasure that energizes you and can lift you from the deepest abyss. Being with a group is a whole different ball game. The comfort levels must be good, then there is no looking back. Seeing your pal do that long forgotten kiddish move, dragging you along and before you know it, the whole bunch is doing those ridiculous moves. Of course, there is always that group of genuinely great dancers who need no dorky guru. They’re out there on their own, their bodies flowing to the rhythm, and no repetitive moves. I stare open mouthed and attempt to break my bones, imitating them. Thank God, my left footed friends drag me away and we continue our monkey moves. Then they play THAT song which makes everyone wild. No time for stylish moves, all you gotta do is jump, jump, jump! And when we all get into a bear hug and jump together it is pure ecstasy. It feels like you are a single being, bouncing on a single pair of feet. That is the time when even the shyest ones come forward and join you. Well, a warning here, this group-bear-hug-jumping thing can be quite hazardous to the dancers around. The group often loses all sense and control knocking down couples and falling onto chairs. Well, whatz a few broken chairs and bruised egos when you can be sooo high!

1 comment:
I thought it appropriate to leave this note. I just came here by chance but your writing did keep me here with a sincerity that is increasingly dwindling in this world. I didn't mean to scare you with so many comments. I'm interested in arch though i did mech engg n mba before ending up in NABARD. You see at 27 you somehow believe you can change all lives and so I try given the place I work with....You have the gift of a voice in your writings, to write is good, to be understood is better but to be felt is best.Your writing is profound in its feelings and I can say there is no sight better than a woman with her own voice and which is so sincere. Dont know if you are older/younger than me, I have one younger sis n my parents have ingrained some fine virtues in my blood,so no other intentions in my writing(cos people get scared these days, even I would if someone talked so much given the way this world churns each day), that is why chose to write this comment, which you may delete after reading.Please Don't ever lose touch with your writing or the voice your words carry. Thank you and god bless you.
Post a Comment